Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
~Thich Nhat Hanh
When the breath is unrestrained, so is the mind. On the contrary, when the breath is under control, the mind will be tamed as well. ~Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Prana means “life force” and yama means “to direct” or “to control”, ayama means “to extend”.
- Practice Pranayama on an empty stomach. Light food may be taken half an hour after finishing.
- The most effective time to practice is before sunrise and after sunset to avoid the heated affects of the sun, as too much heat is rajasic. Best when it is the same time every day.
- Pranayama should be practiced with the eyes closed, inviting awareness inside and eliminating distraction.
- Pranayama should be practiced before asana or when the body is cooled after asana.
- People with high blood pressure should not retain breath after exhalation.